Monday, June 1, 2009

Day 122 - 125

Time flies, this weekend marks the 17th week I've been here, and the highlight must be the final party organised by the dutch student group for international students (ISN). I swear it felt like yesterday when we just attended the very first party only in January!

Other things that we did during these few days..

  • Attending the last few lessons and wrapping up all those presentations.
  • Went for the red light district tour organised by PHK which was also tour-guided by a resident from PHK who's a masters student. Alot of interesting stuff about the red light district I never knew before! Explicit details not too suitable for children. Hahaha.
  • Got to play pool for the first time in 5 months! Really fun, almost thrice as expensive as compared to Singapore, but the tables were good and the company was great!
  • Going to Spui and checking if there were sales. There was one indeed, and I bought an orange pair of Nike sneakers! Finally I found my orange piar of shoes, overdue but still made my day!
  • We finally got to enjoy an outdoor barbeque, but also kinda sad in the sense that it will be the last time we'll see many of the friends we met here. :(
Anyway some pictures.













Really enjoyed an outdoor barbeque in the really sunny, windy, without that sticky sweaty feeling you get from barbeques back home. Thanks to the bunch of friends we've made from Diemen, all the best and keep in touch!

As much as we had like to stay longer than the 2 hours we did at the bbq, we had to go for the party pre-drinks session at Boom and co's place. Not too many people, but once again good drinks and fun.






Friends from Barcelona!


Apparently when you're having fun, time passes so damn quickly. We reached the club at almost 1am, shortly before the time for entry cut-off.





















The amount of liquor that one consumes before partying seems to have a highly positive effect on how much fun he will derive from the party!

Also took the chance to take some photos with friends who we are probably going to see for the last time. =/



















Reached home at 5am and just went to bed straight. Woke up feeling a little sad probably due to the fact that its a final chance where you get to meet most of those you made friends with here. Well looks like there's still facebook, and to any friends who are thinking of visiting Singapore in the future, you are always welcomed to stay at my place!


Day 125

Apparently there's some public holiday tomorrow, which was the reason why the supermarkets weren't opened. I tried to return my crate of empty bottles, and since I wasn't watching where I was going when I cycled and trying to figure out why the supermarket was closed, and yea crashed straight onto the ground. Luckily I chose to carry the bottles in my crumpler, and only one was smashed into bits, the remaining 14 bottles remained unbroken. The first time I fell in Amsterdam, I got a deep cut in the finger, and this time was a slightly bloody abrasion on the elbow. I'm really hoping it will be the last too!

Beside the point, I am extremely touched by the gestures of kindness shown by the Dutch, as well as a group of Chinese tourists who lent this poor fellow a helping hand. Right after I fell, this bespectacled gentleman who cycled past me stopped and helped me get up while holding on to my bike. Another dutch lady who was behind came up and offered me some wet tissue to clean my wound. I don't know why but it seems that all Dutch people always try to communicate with me in Dutch first (despite the fact that I do not resemble a Dutch a single bit), before switching to perfectly fluent English when I respond to them.

I thanked the two of them for their kind act, and while I was still using the tissue to clean my wound, this Chinese granny (okay lady in her 50s) who was standing on the opposite side of the road came up to me and immediately offered two plasters. I was quick to refuse her, but she insisted that I protect my wound. Then while she was helping me apply the plasters (yes the wound wasn't very small), her friends came along, and one of them fished out this oilment from her bag, saying it will help kill any germs and insisted to apply some on my wound. My first reaction was 'Siao liao, disinfectants are never known to make you feel too comfortable when applied.' Try to think of rubbing salt on the wound. Then again, at that instance, given their pure well-intentions, I found it impossible to say no. So they apllied some of it and turns out it wasn't so bad afterall! I stopped to chit chat with them for a while, and found out they were on a tour and they will return to China tomorrow. Really, their motherly instincts and outright affection for this 小孩子(as they called me) made me thought of my mummy suddenly.

Once again, my heartfelt thanks to these 6 strangers who lent a hand when they could have chosen to just mind their own business. I kept telling myself 'They wouldn't have to do it', and' In Singapore nobody would probably take a second look at you if you fell', but these people thought otherwise. I certainly hope I will become more helpful or display more acts of kindness in the future should a chance presents itself. You have no idea how much appreciation people will have for you.

Anyway, I'm really quite looking forward to tomorrow, while it may be the start of the exam week, I've still got 5 days before my first paper, and the bigger thing that's to jump into an Amsterdam canal! Or to be more specific, the canal that's just around the corner in Plantage! Sounds like real fun! All right, I hope I can do more studying before that! Will update again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment