Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 131

Perhaps I haven't been studying so hard for that last paper, perhaps its because I have only 6 more nights to spend in the space that's home for the past 130 days, perhaps its the thought of a new term back in NTU, or perhaps its just letting my thoughts getting the better of me. I've spent the last five hours looking through my past entries on this blog and laughing at them, still shaking my head in disbelief that it had been 105 days ago when I was in Manchester, celebrating what I think had been the best birthday so far.

At the same time, I was also blog-surfing to see how friends and ex-students back in BP are doing. From one perspective I reminisced the good days that have passed me; on the other end, I got an insight of how job-hunting, stress at the work place, and pressures to settle down could be so real.

Apart from the enriching experience this exchange has brought, it has also given me the opportunity to enjoy life like one should, without having to worry about all the other things in life, like the many I've read on the blogs of others.

This chapter of my life is coming to an end soon. To have been able to do, see, feel, experience the many new things(plenty which I've never even dared dream of), I am thankful. To think it was only a week or so ago that I was telling my mum I didn't really miss home or wanted to go back. Looking back, that sounded rather irresponsible. I was here on a holiday (I never doubted the fact that 'student-exchange' was just a smokescreen), I didn't have to worry about not having money, I didn't have to worry about any problems back home (numerous computer breakdowns included), I didn't need to go through a fourth time of endless 'mug-your-ass-off' sessions in N2 (though I will go back to it). Of course, given the above, who wouldn't want to stay on forever?

Strange but real, while packing my luggage over the afternoon, there was this readiness to return back to Singapore. I was actually looking forward to it! I'd like to believe I'm thinking responsibly, that I will be motivated to work hard, do well, and repay mama for all she's given me. I know I'll probably start missing all the good times in Europe, and whining to go back the moment I touch down in Singapore, but hopefully I will not! Somehow, something in the brain just snapped, and its telling me to look forward to the new challenges that await upon my return. Now the only problem is how long this eagerness/motivation can be self-sustained.

Its good to spend some time doing some self-reflection. I've lived a most enjoyable 131 days, another smashing 38 days that I strive to make the most of! Time to sleep, it shall be another great day ahead. Have a great sunday for those back home, cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment